Constituted as 493d Bombardment Group (Heavy) on 14 Sep 1943. Activated on 1 Nov
1943. On 1 Jan 1944 transferred, less the air echelon and without personnel and equipment,
to England where personnel were assigned. Joined by the air echelon in May 1944.
Served in combat with Eighth AF, May 1944-Apr 1945, using B-24's until they were
replaced with B-17's in Sep 1944. Operated chiefly against industrial and military
installations in Germany, attacking an ordnance depot at Magdeburg, marshalling yards
at Cologne, synthetic oil plants at Merseburg, a railroad tunnel at Ahrweiler, bridges
at Irlich, factories at Frankfurt, and other strategic objectives. Additional operations
included striking airfields, bridges, and gun batteries prior to and during the invasion
of Normandy in Jun 1944; hitting enemy positions to assist ground forces south of
Caen and at St Lo in Jul 1944; bombing German fortifications to cover the airborne
attack on Holland in Sep 1944; attacking enemy communications during the Battle of
the Bulge, Dec 1944-Jan 1945; and assisting the airborne assault across the Rhine
in Mar 1945. Flew last combat mission, an attack on marshalling yards at Nauen, on
20 Apr 1945. Returned to the US in Aug. Inactivated on 28 Aug 1945.