The approach drive at Ardennes American Cemetery and Memorial in Belgium leads to
the memorial, a stone structure bearing on its façade a massive American eagle and
other sculptures. Within are the chapel, three large wall maps composed of inlaid
marbles, marble panels depicting combat and supply activities and other ornamental
Along the outside of the memorial, 462 names are inscribed on the granite Tablets
of the Missing. Rosettes mark the names of those since recovered and identified.
The façade on the far (north) end that overlooks the burial area bears the insignia,
in mosaic, of the major U.S. units that operated in northwest Europe in World War
The 90-acre cemetery contains the graves of 5,329 of our military dead, many of whom
died in the 1944 Ardennes winter offensive (Battle of the Bulge). The headstones
are aligned in straight rows that form a Greek cross on the lawns and are framed
by tree masses.
The cemetery served as the location of the Central Identification Point for the American
Graves Registration Service of the War Department during much of the life of the
At first, the cemetery would be situated near Bastogne (location near Recogne), but
because of the bad roads and electricity at the time, the decision was made to have
the US cemetery near Liege. Eisenhower demanded that one of the US cemeteries would
have the name Ardennes in it.
Ardennes American Cemetery is located near the southeast edge of Neupré (Neuville-en-Condroz),
12 miles southwest of Liège, Belgium. The main highway to Marche passes the entrance.
Liège can be reached by express train from Paris (Gare du Nord) via Brussels in about
3½ hours and from Germany via Aachen. Taxicabs and limited bus service to Neupré
are available from Liège.